A Remembrance of the Past; Building for the Future." ~ Eve Eckert Koehler

Remembering Our Danube Swabian Ancestors


by Dr. Viktor Pratscher
Translated by Brad Schwebler

    The retailer of the German newspapers is Filipp Peter.  The railway, which celebrated its first 100 years in 1925, gave traffic a tremendous push.  However it wasn't until 1870 when the first stretch of rail was placed in the Batschka from Subotica over to Sombor.  The Subotica - Novi Sader Line was opened in 1883.  This train actually should have gone to Srbobran and the Feketitsch station was to be in the vineyards next to the village.  This was also the shortest way.  However Werbaß obtained it, so a second railway was planned which passed through our village on the west side from there to Old Verbaß.  Also there was discontent because the train went up to the back door of Neu Werbaß with the help of their representatives while our train station lay 4 kilometers from the village.  Of course, our station could have been brought closer by the historical management of negotiations and the great sacrifices of the community.  However, one saw the advantage that the railroad clearly still did not offer enough.  Feketitsch paid 5000 Guilders for the train and 11 1/3 chains of field were still needed for the train to proceed through our "Hotter" (border meadow).  Mali Idjosch paid about 7000 Guilders, but Sekitsch gave no Kreuzer for it.  Instead they kept it in case they had to pay for something if the original plan was carried out.  Neuverbaß paid 26,000 Guilders.  Mali Idjosch had the train station next to the village with it (which was of course 5 kilometers away until 1914).  Sekitsch is 3800, Feketitsch is 4200 meters on the summer way.  On the 5th of March, 1883 at 3 o'clock in the afternoon the opening train steamed into the station.  The train, decorated with wreaths, was received by a crowd of a thousand people from the three communities.  The station was called Kisch-Hegyes, was changed to Hegyes-Feketehegy after a year.  After that Mali Idjosch received its own station and after all the changes in names were made, today our station is called "Feketic-Sekic."


    From the station Novi Sad is 53 kilometers, Belgrade is 129 kilometers, and Subotica is 49 kilometers away.  A twelve person train comes and goes daily.  The express train is included with it.  From our station a "Vizinal" (local) train went out to Backa Palanka.  The first passenger train operated on this stretch on the 20th of October 1896.  This line formerly served mainly as the connection to the main stretch but lost its importance in the new state so that the traffic from Feketitsch to Kula since 1931 was left out altogether.  What little time the distant location of the station lost, work and expenses already demanded, likely converted the cash value to produce a dizzying high total.  By 1935 our train station for Feketitsch and Sekitsch wound up with the following traffic: 24,229 tickets were issued, 1038 freight cars came, 777 have left.  It is worth mentioning that in the last few years the freight traffic has drastically reduced.  Partially because the turnover for the sake of  "Kriese" was smaller, but mainly through it, because the drivers with their horse drawn covered wagons could present the train with competition.

[Published at 2004 by Jody McKim Pharr]