A Remembrance of the Past; Building for the Future." ~ Eve Eckert Koehler

Remembering Our Danube Swabian Ancestors

The Position of the Village

The Settlement ~ The Roads ~ The Krivaja Creek

by Dr. Viktor Pratscher
Translated by Brad Schwebler

   Feketitsch lies on the train line between Belgrade and Budapest; 47 km. south of Subotica (Maria Theresiopel) and 52 km. north of Novi Sad (Neusatz).  The (Vizinal?) vicinity? train Feketitsch-Palanka connects to the Belgrade-Budapest main line here.  When the community was settled in July 1785 with 250 homes, the whole village lie on the right shore of the Krivaja Stream, in the valley which is rimmed by the Teletschka Hills all around.  The streets were made straight with a plough, just as in the German villages, the same engineer did the work.  The descendent of the engineer: Köröskenyi - who surveyed not only the boundaries of Feketitsch but also of the surrounding communities of Sekitsch and Vrbas, still lived in Feketitsch in the '50's in house number 303, which housed the Evangelical choirmaster's apartment after that.  The position of the village was such that the main street was at the same time the stretch of road from Topola to Srbobran.  It had no windows since it was a cross street.  This first changed in 1870 when the village turned so its main street faced the other way.

   In this respect when the small valley and the course of the crooked Kriviaja Stream are taken into consideration, the streets lay in an east-west direction so that one side of the street faces the south and the other looks to the north.  This position of the streets is not the most favorable because in the wintertime the rooms on the street receive no sun so they are damp and unhealthy.  In the parts of the village built on later the streets run in the direction of the Teletschka Hills from south to north.  In the "Putriken" the small homes stand higgledy-piggledy, which cling to the side of one of the hills.  They are almost like the swallow's nest that sticks out on the hill.

   The village that started in the valley with 250 houses today has 1500 house numbers.  Six times the room was necessary, so they lengthened the street on the west side of the community so it led to the not too steep slopes of the Teletschka Hills.  Then the village was widened in the direction frequented by the public over the Krivaja Stream where the small crooked steep lane in the romantic charming Putriken led up to the Teletschka plateau.  Here the village was widened farther out. - Also towards the south the community was widened with three streets.  Alone in the north direction towards Sekitsch there was at first shortly before the World War one street from the outermost row  and the main street could be built out to the former Schladt's Mill.  That is hardly 100 meters.  During the same time much land was successfully developed.  Where there was formerly an over flooded region today there are lavish (Klec-?), vegetable-, and fruit gardens.  Along the shore there is a row of willow trees.  But the Eldorado of the ducks and fish is in it.  

[Published at 2004 by Jody McKim Pharr]

Last Updated: 18 Aug 2020 ©2003 Donauschwaben Villages Helping Hands, a Nonprofit Corporation.
Webmaster: Jody McKim Pharr
Keeping the Danube Swabian legacy alive!