A Remembrance of the Past; Building for the Future." ~ Eve Eckert Koehler
Remembering Our Danube Swabian Ancestors
Communion and Baptismal
by Dr. Viktor Pratscher
Translated by Brad Schwebler
In the beginning the community presumably
used the holy communion and baptismal implements of the Hungarian mother
The first communion goblet was a gift
of Adam Schmoll, but the minutes have no record of it. The name of the
contributor is on the goblet. In 1868 it already existed. In the
records of 1868-69 it reads: "Dec. 27th- for the repair of the goblet - 10 xr."
Rev. Gustav Jurany, who the community
wanted to be their administrator in 1888, can be thanked for the communion
vessels used today. He collected from the community and from friends 64.15
Forints and with it he bought a silver goblet, a silver-plated jug, a
silver-plated plate, and a tin can. The goblet bore the inscription:
"German Community of Feketehegy 1888."
The baptismal implements used
earlier were a small porcelain bowl and a smaller glass jug, covered with a
silver color. In 1923 the widow of Johann Schmidt nee Eva Dietrich, the
widow of Philipp Schwebler nee Katharina Schmidt, and the widow of Heinrich Weißmann nee Susanna Dietrich presented the community a silver baptismal jug.
In the same year cabinetmaker Peter Spangus finished a beautiful baptismal font
of wood and gave it to the community on the occasion of the birth of his
daughter Sophia. The inscription on it is: "Matthew 28, 19-20. Peter