SOCIETY    TRADITIONS    ECONOMY    CHURCHES    COOKING DS STYLE!

A Remembrance of the Past; Building for the Future." ~ Eve Eckert Koehler



Remembering Our Danube Swabian Ancestors
     
 

History of Feketic/Feketitsch

by Dr. Viktor Pratscher, 1936
Translated by Brad Schwebler

    The community Feketitsch was established 150 years ago in the year 1785, about a year sooner than neighboring Sekitsch.  It was founded at the time by reformed Hungarians of the Pusta-Feketitsch, who descended principally from the village Kunhegyes in the Comitate Jasigen-Grosskumanen-Solnok.

   Ruins of an old church from each time can still be seen here on the western shore of the little Krivaja Rivers.  There was already a little village here before the Turkish period which was devastated.  The village was probably above the hills of the cemeteries where the valley on the right shore of the Krivaja spread out into a great hollow.  Numerous old artifacts would be found at excavations in this area today.

   The newly settled village would be called Feketehegy by the Hungarians from the Puszta-Feketity; in 1850 it was called Feketity; since 1870 it was called Bacs-Feketehegy; in 1900 it was called Bacsfeketehegy, in 1919 it was called Feketity, soon Crno-Brdo and again Feketic.  Of the meaning of the original names, Feketity is not clear.  It may be of Slavic origin.  The alteration and translation of the names of Feketehegy-Crno Brdo, means Schwarzberg (Black Mountain) and is completely arbitrary.  With the frequent changes of the village names it is no wonder that, for example, the little old lady frrom Pribocevicevo, which is today Backo-Dobropolje, when travelling on the train could not say where she's from.  Earlier she was from Kitschker.  It happened to our people with Crno-Brdo also, but today every genuine German cay say from the heart, "I am from Fegeditsch." (where the two "e" sounds are pronounced as in the words 'Degen' and 'Leben'.

   The town was settled in a picturesque area.  The village lays in the Krivaja Valley and is surrounded by the Teletschkaer Hills.  The name Krivaja-Bara is of Slavic origin.  Krivaja means curvy and the little stream has plenty of curves.  The Krivaja Valley runs from Topola-Sekitsch to Srobran.  Our village was 2 km. from Sekitsch and they are separated for the most part by marshes.  Srbobran is 15 km. away from here.  Feketitsch was settled on the right shore of the Krivaja.  The main street is at the same time the road that runs from Sekitsch to Srbobran.  At the settlement were free houses: church and school, community center, parsonage, notary public, and landlords inn.  The state itself was lord of the manor for the whole Hotter.  Hotter neighbors are: Betschej, Petrovoselo, Srbobran towards morning; Vrbas towards midday; Kula towards evening; and Sekitsch towards midnight.

[Published at DVHH.org 2004 by Jody McKim Pharr]

Next: The Hungarians of Feketitsch (includes name registry)


Last Updated: 18 Aug 2020

DVHH.org 2003 Donauschwaben Villages Helping Hands, a Nonprofit Corporation.
Webmaster: Jody McKim Pharr
Keeping the Danube Swabian legacy alive!