DS Wappen 


Home of the Danube Swabian for over 300 years.

    ABOUT ⁞  VILLAGES  RESOURCES  UPDATES  

 

 

 

Swabians In Scheindorf

Scheindorf (German), Sii/Sâi (Romanian), Szinfalu (Hungarian) lies east of Erdeed and belongs to the county of Sathmar (Translator's note: Sathmar is in present-day north-west Romania. It is close to the Hungarian and Ukrainian border). The name, "Zynfalwa", stems from the Middle Ages. It was documented for the first time in 1424. At that time, it was part of Erdeed, the place where the noble families, Dragffy, Bathory, and Rakoczy lived. In the 17th Century, the town virtually disappeared. It is not mentioned except for the place where coal miners' huts existed. In the following decade, Romanians slowly drifted into the area. At the time of the Kurdish wars, Franz Rakocy II mortgaged a large part of this property in order to raise money for the war. Ownership of Scheindorf changed, and in 1708, the new owner became Alexander Karolyi. In time, as he and his descendants settled more towns with Swabians, the record in 1767 shows that Scheindorf had only (ethnic) Romanian inhabitants. Farmland and pastures only constituted about 10% of the land. To clear the forest and change the area to farmland needed settlements of Swabian farmers. 

Anton Mlinaricz, a civil servant of Count Anton Karolyi, submitted a plan for a town laying out streets and farms. The surveyors presented in their report the point of view that through clearing, 3,000 acres of farmland would be gained. This could be done by new settlers. According to the plan, young farmers, who would be in charge of their own house or their own farm, should be resettled from neighboring Swabian communities. The appeal of the Count was successful. 60 families from Maitingen, Schinal, Kalmandi, Fremen, Bildegg, etc. declared themselves, according to the civil servant's report, ready to settle in Scheindorf, but only after seeing the area for themselves. A few farmers appeared in November 1779, accompanied by a servant of the count. The visit satisfied the prospective settlers. It is not recorded whether they moved to Scheindorf in the year 1779. By that time, it is known that immigrants from Germany already lived with the Romanians.

According to the record of December 8, 1780, 35 Swabian families already lived in the new town. 1780 can be considered the beginning of the Swabian settlement in Scheindorf. The new settlers came from...Germany: Jacob Scherer, Josef Holerbach, Andreas Oberhofer, Ignaz Zapf, Philipp Riber, Peter Perer, Martin Jung; Bildegg: Josef Koch, Johann Link, Johann Nagle, Martin Tepfenhardt, Martin Pfefferkorn, Hansjorg Koch, Michael Koch; Grosskarol: Jakob Keller, Friedrich Treer, Josef Wolfgang, Joseph Pendl; Erdeed: Heinrich Schneider, Johann Horber, Jakob Amann; Sagas: Xaver Tepfenhardt, Michael Zweifel; Petrifeld: Johann Weiss, Martin Moor; Schinal: Jakob Holzli, Josef Holzli; Wahlei: Peter Keller, Michael Pross; Schandern: Joseph Weisser; Sukunden: Anton Schmied; Kalmandi: Paul Wilhelm, Kapplau: Johann Stadler; only Franz Babotschi has no origin listed.

The record of the first settlement shows that four already had built solid houses, 7 had the building materials for houses, 14 lived in huts, while 10 were without a home.

According to the above record, 13 more families were awaited from...Bildegg: Kaspor Dietrich, Johann Holleiter, Michael Steinbinder, Hansjorg Martin; Sagas: Johann Bauer, Johann Mock, Martin Lipp; Schandern: Johann Trendli, Josef Hausmann, Stefan Schopper; Turterbesch: Martin Kringemaier, Martin Strobeli; Sukunden: Josef Manz. About the influx of more Swabian families, the church records of Hamroth give us information. Between 1781 and 1785, 26 farmers settled in. Of these, 19 were from neighboring communities and 7 from Germany. From 1792 to 1799, 22 new settlers came, mostly from Germany. The total of settlers who came from Germany came to 24. The records of 1828 gives the count of farm families as 61, and of merchants as 8. That was the end of the German settlement. The difference between the 96 families who moved into Scheindorf, and the 69 who were listed in 1828, can be explained by the fact that some left to settle elsewhere. Such moves were common to all the Swabian towns and went on during all of the 19th Century.

According to the bishop's census, the religion of the people of Scheindorf was as follows:

Year Roman Catholic Greek Catholic Reformed Orthodox Lutheran Jewish Total
1820 413 - - - - - 413
1861 618 - - - - - 618
1912 855 360 2 - - 4 1222
1930 772 250 2 7 2 19 1052

 

[Credits, Originally Published by Jody McKim Pharr at the DVHH.org 29 Sep 2006]

 

[Published by Sarah Coraggio at the DVHH on 2 October 2018]

 Last Updated: 13 Oct 2018

TO TOP OF PAGE 

Keeping the Danube Swabian legacy alive!

 


Sathmar Index Link

  SATHMAR COORDINATOR
      & Web Editor
     
Sarah Coraggio

1.   Introduction
2.   The Swabian Trek to Sathmar
3.   Ancestors of the Settlers
4.   Swabians in Scheindorf
5.   Revolt of the Settlers
6.   Economic Development
7.   Tradesmen and Craftsmen
8.   Looking for Work
9.   Disasters
10. The Political Community
11. Church Life
12. Pastor Johann Ettinger
13. School and Teachers
14. Life and Death
15. Self-sacrifice & Sense of Community
16. Evacuation of the Swabians
17. Scattered throughout the World
18. We Remember the Victims of War
19. The Romanian Fellow Townsmen
20. Jewish Families in Scheindorf
(Add)
21. Gypsies in Scheindorf (Addendum)
22. Scheindorfer Kiarbe
23. Scheindorfer St. Anne Hymn
24. Customs and Traditions
25. Reference (Bibliography)


Webmaster:
Jody McKim Pharr

Keeping the Danube Swabian legacy alive!

DVHH.org ©2003-2018
Donauschwaben Villages Helping Hands,
a Nonprofit Corporation
.

 

Support DVHH