History of Feketitsch
The community Feketitsch
was established 150 years ago in the year 1785, about a year sooner than
neighboring Sekitsch. It was founded at the time by reformed Hungarians of
the Pusta-Feketitsch, who descended principally from the village Kunhegyes in
the Comitate Jasigen-Grosskumanen-Solnok.
Ruins of an old
church from each time can still be seen here on the western shore of the
little Krivaja Rivers. There was already a little village here
before the Turkish period which was devastated. The village was
probably above the hills of the cemeteries where the valley on the right
shore of the Krivaja spread out into a great hollow. Numerous old
artifacts would be found at excavations in this area today.
settled village would be called Feketehegy by the Hungarians from the
Puszta-Feketity; in 1850 it was called Feketity; since 1870 it was
called Bacs-Feketehegy; in 1900 it was called Bacsfeketehegy, in 1919 it
was called Feketity, soon Crno-Brdo and again Feketic. Of the
meaning of the original names, Feketity is not clear. It may be of
Slavic origin. The alteration and translation of the names of
Feketehegy-Crno Brdo, means Schwarzberg (Black Mountain) and is
completely arbitrary. With the frequent changes of the village
names it is no wonder that, for example, the little old lady frrom
Pribocevicevo, which is today Backo-Dobropolje, when travelling on the
train could not say where she's from. Earlier she was from Kitschker. It happened to our people with Crno-Brdo also, but
today every genuine German cay say from the heart, "I am from Fegeditsch."
(where the two "e" sounds are pronounced as in the words 'Degen' and 'Leben'.
The town was
settled in a picturesque area. The village lays in the Krivaja
Valley and is surrounded by the Teletschkaer Hills. The name Krivaja-Bara is of Slavic origin. Krivaja means curvy and the
little stream has plenty of curves. The Krivaja Valley runs from
Topola-Sekitsch to Srobran. Our village was 2 km. from Sekitsch
and they are separated for the most part by marshes. Srbobran is
15 km. away from here. Feketitsch was settled on the right shore
of the Krivaja. The main street is at the same time the road that
runs from Sekitsch to Srbobran. At the settlement were free
houses: church and school, community center, parsonage, notary public,
and landlords inn. The state itself was lord of the manor for the
whole Hotter. Hotter neighbors are: Betschej, Petrovoselo,
Srbobran towards morning; Vrbas towards midday; Kula towards evening;
and Sekitsch towards midnight.
The Hungarians of Feketitsch (includes name