Alexanderhausen
Banat | Village Coordinator: Nick Tullius

HOME | HISTORY | MEMORIES | LITERATURE | RESEARCH | PHOTOS | LINKS
     

Alexanderhausen Village Timeline

Compiled by Nick Tullius

1833

Founding of the village of Alexanderhausen by contract between bishop Alexander of Agram and 140 families from the surrounding villages

1836

Construction of the double-spire baroque church - symbol of Alexanderhausen

1842

Church registers must use Hungarian language

1848

Petition of complaints from Alexanderhauseners to the Hungarian Interior Ministry

1849

Ah complies with request to supply another 50 recruits for the defense of Temeswar

1849

Ah supplies bread and oats to the Austrian Army on its way to liberate the besieged Temeswar

1849

Ah signs the Billed/Bogarosch Petition

1852

A further 59 families join Ah from the surrounding villages

1859

Population of Ah is 1650 persons in 210 houses

1868

"Ah buys all property rights from the bishop of Agram for 262,960 Gulden"

1869

Ah school is transferred from the feudal administration to the community

1873

Cholera kills ten persons

1884

Ah connected to the railway line Temeswar-Tschanad

1890

Association for steam-engine threshing is formed

1890

Influenza epidemic; no casualties

1893

Ah obtains the right to hold a weekly market

1898

Socialist Association is formed

1898

Association of agricultural producers (Bauernverein) is formed

1900

Population of Ah is 1929 persons

1903

Reconstruction of the village school building

1911

Liberty monument erected in Rondell by Freedom Party

1912

Church transferred from the diocese of Agram to the diocese of Tschanad

1912

Some 80 families emigrate to America

1913

About 300 persons from Alexanderhausen are now in America

1918

WWI ends; 62 men from Ah lost their lives in the war

1920

Ah finds itself in the Romanian part of the Banat

1920

The community drills a 100 m deep well in the Rondell

1920

The community mandates a 1 m wide paved sidewalk (1.5 m in main street and Rondell)

1923

Many participants from Ah at the 200th anniversary of German colonization in Temeswar

1926

Ah school is transferred from the community to the state

1929

Voluntary fire brigade is formed

1930

Population of Ah is 1854 of which 1722 are Germans ( 92.9%)

1931

New church bells inaugurated; sponsored by Ah villagers in the USA

1933

100th anniversary & inauguration of the Heroes Monument erected in a Rondell park setting

1940

German military mission in Romania; soldiers in Ah

1941

"School is transferred to the ""German Ethnic Group in Romania"""

1943

Hitler-Antonescu agreement enrolls all men into either Romanian or German armed forces

1944

23 September to 5 October: Ah is battlefield; inhabitants evacuted to Bogarosch & other villages

1944

October: a number of families flee towards Germany; some are subsequently returned by Soviets

1944

Closing of German school; Romanian refugees arrive in Ah

1945

Deportation of men (17 to 45 years old) and women (18 to 30 years old) to the USSR

1945

WWII ends; 217 villagers lost their lives (163 in the German Armed Forces; 37 in the Romanian Armed Forces; 17 civilians during the battle in Ah)

1945

Romanian colonists occupy houses of Germans; expropriation of all German property

1946

German language instruction reintroduced to village school; establishment of a state farm

1949

Return of survivors from USSR; 34 dead from 174 deported (19.8% casualties)

1950

Ah state farm incorporated into the larger Warjasch state farm

1951

Deportation to the Baragan: 48 persons deported; five died in the Baragan; last USSR POW returns

1952

Collective farm is established with 1/5 of arable land

1954

Electric power for homes and street lighting produced by Burian/Graf mill

1955

Return of first deportees from the Baragan; restitution of their houses

1956

Property rights for their houses returned to original German owners; need for renovation

1957

Collectivisation completed: all villagers are now members of the collective farm

1968

Oil is discovered in the Ah area

1974

Central water supply installation completed

1980s

Exodus of Germans from Ah continues

1992

Population of Ah is 2139 of which 84 are Germans (3.9%)

1997

There are 63 Germans left in Ah (34 are spouses or children of inter-ethnic marriages)

 


The Banat | Danube Swabian History | Nick Tullius Files | Join the DVHH Mail List

2005 Nick Tullius, unless otherwise noted - Report broken links

Last updated: 26 Aug 2020