The name of the city itself has four forms
according to the four languages spoken: Temeschburg or Temeswar (German), Timisoara
(Romanian), Temesvár (Hungarian) and Temisvaru (Serbian).
The Banat newspaper ‘Temeswarer Zeitung’ (Timisoara Newspaper), founded in 1852, served as an
important vehicle of communication for the German minority until 1949.
H.O.G. Chairman of
Temeschburg: Dr. W. Alfred Zawadzki
Steinenbergstr. 1, 72764 Reutlingen;
Tel. 07121/ 240625, Fax. 071217 210736
first printing house had already been set up in 1769, the first
newspaper, a weekly -"Temeswarer Nachrichten", in 1771. In the 19th
century the press developed to such an extent that Timisoara became one
of the important journalistic centers of the time. Even today we are
impressed by the rich information offered by the then Romanian
newspapers ("Priculiciul", 11 Luminatorul", "Dreptatea"), by the German
ones ("Temeswarer Zeitung") or by the Magyar ones ("Temesvari Hirlap").
The theatrical company began its season in 1753; after having got a
permanent residence they organized shows regularly, in the German
language. As the old theater building was then burnt down, the Borough
Theater was built and opened in 1875. In the cultural life of Timisoara,
at the time, music was well represented by the "Filarmonica" Society,
the Romanian, German, Hungarian and Serbian Choirs and the Music Clubs.
Timisoara also stood out through the school of fine arts created by
painters and sculptors like Constantin Daniel, Nicolae Popescu, Ion
Zaicu, Michael Wagner, Johann Schoph, Anselm Wagner, Watkay Ferencz,