Neu-Pasua, A Short Homeland Book
By Mathias Huber

Translated by Henry Fischer,
Edited by Rose Vetter

Agriculture
 
  The community was without qualification a farming village with 80% of the population engaged in agriculture.  This was carried out in a very progressive manner.  As early as 1908 the first combine harvesting machines made in the United States of America were introduced locally.  Up until the Second World War the grain crops were harvested with this kind of machinery.  As a result of the prevailing and generally accepted inheritance rights the family acreage in almost all cases was evenly divided among all of the male heirs.  Because of this practice no large scale farms developed but rather remained mid-sized or small plots of land.  The major crops were wheat and maize in addition to barley, oats, sugar beets and other root crops.  In the last years prior to the Flight sunflowers were grown as a source for cooking oil.  As an example of the yields that our fields produced in terms of maize and wheat we can share the following:  there was a yield of about 400 wagonloads of maize and 250-300 wagonloads of wheat.  If we add the yield of oats and barley to meet the individual farmers needs, the large scale cattle rearing, the feeding of swine for slaughter and seeds for the next yearís planting the annual production exceeded 1,000 wagonloads.  The vineyard annually produced several thousand Hekto liters of good wines.
 
Crafts and Trade
 
 
The reputation of the local tradesmen went far beyond the borders of our home community.  In many cases the Serbs in the neighbouring communities preferred the services of our tradesmen to their own.  Many tradesmen also had some small landholdings.
 
   The daily activities and skills of the tradesmen were as follows: They spun, sewed, knitted, crocheted, baked, slaughtered, wove baskets, made brooms and so on.  Much of this work was done in the winter months when fieldwork was at a standstill.  Thanks to these trades our rather unassuming but neat and tidy farm clothing was worn right up to the Flight in our home village.

 
The Co-operative Society
 
  The Society did not exist until the mid 1920s.  The Farmerís Assistance Association, the so-called Agraria was founded under the chairmanship of Johann Flohr in 1925.  Following the establishment of this institution the co-operative was forced to face very unstable times for a few years until after meeting a major crisis it led to a healthy agricultural economy and general prosperity for the farmers.  In the years ahead the Farmerís Assistance Association consisted of a membership of over one thousand villagers.  Credit was generously extended to the members that enabled them to purchase additional land.
 
 
A type of credit union was a component of the Farmerís Assistance Association that proved itself of great value.  There was a hardly a family or household that was not part of it.  The Farmerís Assistance Association had its own kiln to dry maize that processed over one hundred wagonloads from autumn through the winter.   The existing seed cleansing machinery was used by the farmers a great deal.  Through the efforts of the Farmerís Assistance Association, agricultural equipment and machinery were ordered and used, along with other necessary articles for farming and vineyard production.  Outside of the scope of the Farmerís Assistance Association there was a livestock insurance co-operative that provided insurance on cows, which was a major concern of the farmers.  The risk of the loss of beef cattle was not considered as great.  The requirements for this insurance and the necessary regular examinations of the animals by veterinarians resulted in a tuberculosis-free herd in the community.
 
Peopleís Savings Bank
 
  The oldest financial institution in Neu-Pasua was the Peopleís Savings Bank established in 1905 by our countryman Ludwig Schumacher.  With the arrival of the Farmerís Assistance Association it lost a great deal of its importance.  It remained in operation until the time of the Flight.
 
Industries
 
 
They were not very well developed due to the lack of capital.  There was a textile works in the village, the firm of MŁller and Company, with a workforce of 35 to 40 persons; in addition, there were also a large and smaller brickworks.  In 1944 Neu-Pasua had two modern export customs houses for mill products.  There were approximately a dozen modern mills in other locales, owned and operated by men from Neu-Pasua.  A workshop made bicycle parts.  At that time there were eighteen commercially operated threshing machines in the various German communities and in Serbian villages that earned a good income for the owners in Neu-Pasua.

Community Life
 
  The cultural life of the village was deliberately curtailed by the Yugoslavian government to prevent the German consciousness of the inhabitants to gain ascendancy.  The German teacher was not permitted to lead the choral society founded in 1905.   One of the deserving members of the society was Dr. Noll the village doctor.  He achieved great results in singing competitions.  Sports activities only began after the First World War and began with football (soccer).  Callisthenics and gymnastics first began to develop in the 1930s.  The Fire Department was first founded after the First World War under the leadership of Fritz Schneider the local innkeeper.  One can say this was rather late in being established.  In one respect there was always the danger of a major fire because of the enormous numbers of haystacks and piles of maize leaves in the barnyards while on the other hand the danger was minimized by the nature of the construction of the houses out of bricks and roofed with tiles.  Otherwise when fires broke out every farmer abandoned whatever work he was doing and lost no time in coming to help.  There was no lack of wells or water to put out the fire.
 
 
 The most significant landmark in the village was the baroque style church built in 1812.   The services were always very well attended.  At the time of the major festivals not all of the worshippers were able to find seating.  Chairs were placed along the centre aisle of the church.  The Siloah orphanage established in 1910 did not only serve the village of Neu-Pasua.  It is now located in Isny in the Allgšu and has developed into a childrenís and youth village.  It serves approximately 150 children and youth and will never be forgotten by its founders, the people of Neu-Pasua.

[Published at DVHH.org 18 Aug 2009]

Next: Neu-Pasua Today

 

DVHH.org © 2003-2012 Donauschwaben Villages Helping Hands, a Nonprofit Corporation
Last Updated: 02 Apr 2012
Keeping the Danube Swabian legacy alive