SOCIETY    TRADITIONS    ECONOMY    CHURCHES    COOKING DS STYLE!

A Remembrance of the Past; Building for the Future." ~ Eve Eckert Koehler



Remembering Our Danube Swabian Ancestors
     
 
Pastor and Choirmaster Field

by Dr. Viktor Pratscher
Translated by Brad Schwebler, 2003

   The Evangelical congregation already had the cherished hope in 1830 to receive a field from the rulers for which they had waited all too long to be fulfilled.

   In the (Vocator?) of the Rev. Josef Skultethy it says: "Should the community receive one half or a whole Session of field, the pastor will receive half of it, and the teacher will receive the other half. - Also the Vocator of the Rev. Ferd. Hamel considered the possibility that the community's pastor's field be shared.

   Yet in 1873 Wilhelm Pratscher, a teacher from Vrbas, was given the benefit of 10 yokes of field.  The negotiations were done and in 1875 even the stakes were placed in the pastor and choirmaster's fields in the neighborhood of today's orchards.

   The pastor should receive 20 yokes of field and the choirmaster should receive 10 yokes of field.  However the political community went with the ruler in the process for the sake of the division of the Hutweide (meadow) and drew on the shortness of it.  As a result of the delay in the process, the congregation only received half of the intended grounds.  The pastor's field was to be one session of agricultural field and 6 chains of Hutweide (pasture) and the choirmaster's field was to be a half session agricultural land and 3 chains of Hutweide (pasture).

   In the books of the congregation we find in 1877 the recording of the occasion of the measurement of the Hutweide (pasture) that the engineer had measured out the pastor's field and the choirmaster's field.  The yoke was calculated to be 1200  square fathoms.  The pastor received 10 yokes, equal to 12,000 square fathoms, that was 6 chains, of which the choirmaster received half.  It was extremely important also in 1914 that the congregation have this field honestly in their name since there were funds allocated for it.  The field lies on Novi Vrbas Road, very near to the community and in the last few years it has yielded 12 to 20 squares of wheat per chain.

   Besides that the congregation also has a potato land (Grundbiernstück) (300 square fathoms) which it purchased in 1842 for 16 Florints from Philipp Huth.  These were leased yearly and in 1929 the bell ringer Georg Roß sold them for about 5000 Dinars.

   Testimony to the legacy of the favors done by the church was to have helped several in the community to be prosperous.  During the first hundred years it has not thought to decline anyone real estate whereby the wealth of land in the community could be increased.

[Published at DVHH.org 2004 by Jody McKim Pharr]

Heritage » Schwebler » Pratscher » Churches