SOCIETY    TRADITIONS    ECONOMY    CHURCHES    COOKING DS STYLE!

A Remembrance of the Past; Building for the Future." ~ Eve Eckert Koehler



Remembering Our Danube Swabian Ancestors
     
 
From the Archives of the Congregation:
The Midwives of the Congregation

by Dr. Viktor Pratscher
Translated by Brad Schwebler

    In the first decade the congregation had concerns about the rounds and weekly runs of experienced midwives they had at their disposal.  When the Hungarian Reformed congregation separated themselves from the political community in 1820 it certainly meant that either the midwives belonged to the Reformed congregation or they had none at all.  This problem was remedied by the Evangelical community when a woman was sent to Kula for an examination on the 22nd of November 1828 and paid 5 Florints for it.  In connection with this the community considered it advisable to send a present with it worth 6 Florints, 46 Kronen to Kula.  After a few years (1835) the congregation collected 35 Florints to pay the tuition for a new midwife.  The miracle doctor Karl Weber in Sekitsch received 3 Florints for the instruction of the midwife.  The Comitat's doctor was paid 10 Florints by the congregation for the examination, etc.  In 1834 the community purchased the midwife Klistier and accessories for about 3 Florints, 45 Kronen.  These were the first such instruments in Feketitsch.  In 1853 the community was again compelled to pay for a midwife for 48 Florints, 11 Kronen.

   When the community went to the parent community for its first local assembly on the 4th of February 1860 the following was discussed: "The well respected pastor shared the request with the midwife Catharina Antoni to apply for a bonus because on the one hand our community had a small census but on the other hand several of the community members used a second midwife, so it could not last. - At the conclusion of the assembly the aforementioned midwives did not call upon those of our community at a birth to receive two Guilders in Viennese currency. - When the above mentioned midwife moved to Vrbas in 1861, she had to pay back the tuition to the community.

   Afterward there were already midwives who paid for their own education and set up private practice if they were not employed by the state.

   Such midwives included: Margaretha Exle, 1863; Susanna Schorr, 1862-1922; Elisabetha Staub, 1871; Katharina Kinkel born Welker; Christina Bender born Bellmann; Katharina Morell born Hauser and certified in 1896 in Segedin, stayed in the occupation for 40 years and has been the community midwife since 1922.

   It was desirable if the German women of our community want to continue to dedicate themselves to this important and beautiful profession.  The importance placed on it today requires as much as possible the prerequisites of 4 years of middle school and 1 year of specialist subjects.

Source: The Germans of the Community of Feketitsch by Dr. Viktor Pratscher. Herausgegeben vom Festausschusz der Gedenkfeier.

 

[Published at DVHH.org 2004 by Jody McKim Pharr]

Heritage Schwebler Pratscher Churches & Birth, Naming Customs & Baptism