SOCIETY    TRADITIONS    ECONOMY    CHURCHES    COOKING DS STYLE!

A Remembrance of the Past; Building for the Future." ~ Eve Eckert Koehler



Remembering Our Danube Swabian Ancestors
     
 

Baptists, Methodists, Nazarenes, Catholics

by Dr. Viktor Pratscher
Translated by Brad Schwebler

   Besides the Evangelists and the Reformed there were only completely isolated members of other beliefs under the Germans in Feketitsch.

   In 1901 the place of worship for the Baptists was built at house number 191.  This is a corner house with three windows.  It consists of a prayer hall with yard entrance and a small apartment.  A sign on the street front bore the inscription "Place of Worship for the Baptists, 1901."  There are 6 members at the present time and it was no greater earlier.  The pulpit was decorated with a cross and bore the inscription: "Hurry, Save Your Soul."  The hymnbook had the title: "Voice of Belief."  The place of worship is furnished with 10 benches and a beautiful harmonium (organ).

   There are hardly any Methodists in Feketitsch.  They have their chapel in Sekitsch.  As of Whitsunday there were still two people who were inclined to call themselves Methodists. - Thirty years ago there were also some "Blue Crosses."  All of these last named (Confessionen) and sects spread to America where for example the Methodists and Baptists have millions of followers.

   The Nazarenes were here since the '70's but could not take hold with our Germans.  Under the Hungarians the number is more considerable.  At this time there are 8 German people who profess to be Nazarenes.  Generally they were called "Believers."  They have a common place of worship with the Hungarians in the part of the village inhabited by the Hungarians.

   The permanently grounded German Catholics are almost never found in Feketitsch.  Today there are 15 Catholics in Feketitsch.  They were ministered by Mali Idjosch.  Their church authorities acquired a site at the end of the village towards Sekitsch on which a Catholic place of worship was to be built.  They actively proselytized.

[Published at DVHH.org 2004 by Jody McKim Pharr]