SOCIETY    TRADITIONS    ECONOMY    CHURCHES    COOKING DS STYLE!

A Remembrance of the Past; Building for the Future." ~ Eve Eckert Koehler



Remembering Our Danube Swabian Ancestors
     
 

The Church Choir

by Dr. Viktor Pratscher
Translated by Brad Schwebler

   In the first decade of this century there was a combined men's choir for the Evangelical-Lutheran and the Reformed Germans but it folded about 1908.

  The Reformed men's choir was largely established at the suggestion of Martin Göttel in 1912 and was under teacher Nadich's diligent direction.  He worked on the so-called big holidays, usually on festival days, and at funerals and weddings with the members or their relatives and organized two recital evenings in the winter of 1913-14 with great success.  At Christmas teacher Nadich organized with the school children and the men's choir the first (Christabend?) in the church which caused the greatest sensation at the time and since then it has been held each year.  The choir soon formed an association with approved statutes.  The executive committee was Martin Göttel, treasurer Karl Spangus, and Peter Kern.

   Through the war the activity of the men's choir was interrupted.  After the war it was reestablished and led by Friedrich Schmidt.  The activity of the choir conducted itself in the same framework as before the war and continues to operate completely today.

   After teacher Schmidt's departure the choir was not active in the winter of 1923-24 but the work was resumed again by teacher Philipp Zepp and continued on with greater involvement.  From the fall of 1925 to the spring of 1927 teacher Koloman Rumpf led the choir.  Then the men's choir was reestablished again in December 1933 under the direction of choirmaster Ludwig Gutwein.  In 1932 a youth choir was also established in the framework of the men's choir, which was led by Willy Giese which in December 1933 was also transferred to the control of the men's choir.  After that the mixed choir came back to life in January 1936.

   The chairmen of the choir were: Philipp Schwebler from 1919 to 1922, Jakob Schwebler in 1923, Jakob Göttel-Sch. from 1924-27, Daniel Giese from 1932-33, David Kern Jr. from 1934 to 1936, and Jakob Göttel-D. since then.

   It is still mentioned that the choir also sometimes is an important function of the community and is received by the public with great success: such as in September 1933 on the occasion of the 10th anniversary of the orphanage here in Feketitsch and in August 1934 at the hometown festival in Torscha.

The Reformed Men's and Mixed Choirs of 1936

   The Reformed church choir from Crvenka under the direction of choirmaster Philipp Zepp visited us in August 1935, and our choir visited them in March 1936.  This is for the care of the brotherly bond which was certainly not without meaning.

   The importance of the work of the church choir so far one can very well see that it does something for the care of the spiritual hymns and that in its activity young people found themselves together at the same work.

[Published at DVHH.org 2004 by Jody McKim Pharr]