SOCIETY    TRADITIONS    ECONOMY    CHURCHES

"A Remembrance of the Past; Building for the Future." ~ Eve Eckert Koehler



Remembering Our Danube Swabian Ancestors
     
 

A Brief Church History in Hӧgyész 

by Josef Hoben
Translated by Henry Fischer

  According to the summary account of the bishop’s canonical visitor of March 30, 1729 the old church had three altars, a cross above the High altar, a chalice with the initials C and E (perhaps a gift from the royal couple Charles VI and his wife Elisabeth), a trunk with an iron lock in which the ciborium and the reserved host were stored.  Four years after the first visitation, the bishop’s legate made a new assessment of the situation.  According to his submission the church was in good repair and sacristy had been built as an addition.  On May 16. 1755, the Bishop of Pécs, Georg Klimó, administered the sacrament of confirmation.  The parish of Hӧgyész with its filial in Duzs counted 88 Roman Catholic families.  In addition to the furnishings in the church building the report to the bishop mentions that there is a vineyard as part of the rectory property that the priest needed because of the meagre salary he received. 

  The refurbishing of the church took place in the 19th century.  In 1850 Vinzentius Prick of Vienna donated a baptismal font and statue and in 1860 Count Kasimir Apponyi made a gift of banners for the stations of the cross.  There have been twenty-two priest who served in the parish of Hӧgyész as follows: 

 l.  Peter Willerscheid (priest at the time of settlement, left to serve in Kӧln 1723-1731

 2. Karl Kriener                                                                                      1732-1739

 3. Franz Schuknecht                                                                              1739-1740

 4. Heinrich Muth                                                                                   1740-1744

 5. Andreas Federspiel                                                                             1744-1745

 6. Paul Babonitcs                                                                                    1745-1753

 7. Anton Fabrik                                                                                       1753-1760

 8. Johann Henckelmann                                                                          1760-1787

 9. Josef Pirker                                                                                          1787-1798

10. Karl Kolb (from Bataszek)                                                                 1799-1842

11. Karl Gyenis (from Hӧgyész) later Dean                                             1842-1874

12. Karl Hunyadi (from Szakadát)                                                            1874-1881

13. Peter Streicher (from Hӧgyész)                                                           1881-1910

14. Josef Schäfer                                                                                        1910-1922

15. Josef Leh                                                                                              1922-1930

16. Josef Eberhard                                                                                      1930-1933

17. Franz Bräutigam                                                                                   1934-1938

18. Endre Pásztor                                                                                        1939-1958

19. Dr. Ladislaus Gallos                                                                              1958-1968

20. Josef Petz                                                                                               1968-1980

21. Eduard Mim                                                                                           1980-1986

22. Michael Klein                                                                      Since November 1986  

  The first wedding in the new church took place on June 10, 1800.  During the 19th century to the Church Jubilee on September 14, 1899 there were 2,835 more.  In the same time frame, 12,470 children were baptized.  The festival sermon at the One Hundredth Anniversary of the church was preached by Josef Streicher, resident priest in Paks, a son of the parish and the brother of the parish priest in Hӧgyész, Peter Streicher and in the presence of Count Geysa Apponyi, Imperial and Royal Counsellor and the members of the parish. 

  In addition to the parish church in Hӧgyész a chapel existed in the castle built by the Mercys in 1740.  The palace chaplain also served at the pilgrimage church “Mariae Bründle” in Csicsó.  In 1812 in addition to Duzs there were two other filials in Felsӧnána and Nagytormás that were later integrated into other parishes.  At the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th the following filials were integreated into the Hӧgyész parish:  Kalaznó, Kalaznópuszta, Csicsó, Csernédpuszta and Szállapuszta.

[Published at DVHH.org 12 Sep 2011 by Jody McKim Pharr]

 


MAIN CATEGORIES

HERITAGE
COOKING DS STYLE!
HISTORY
ATROCITIES
GENEALOGY
COMMUNITY
SEARCH DVHH

THE VILLAGES
BANAT
BATSCHKA
HUNGARIAN HIGHLANDS
SATHMAR
SLAVONIA
SWABIAN TURKEY
SYRMIA
BULGARIA

DVHH MAIL LIST
Mailing Lists On RootsWeb

DVHH.org ©2003-2017
Donauschwaben Villages Helping Hands Nonprofit
Keeping the Danube Swabian legacy alive!

Webmaster: Jody McKim Pharr
Last
Updated: 03 Mar 2018