A Short History of the Village of Bogarosch
Bogarosch H.O.G.; translated by Diana Lambing]
1494 Bogaros is mentioned for the
first time in 1452 and in 1493 in a document of the Diplomatic Department of the Country
Archives in Budapest. In 1494 the estate of Bogaros is documented for the first time. The
document can be found in the archives of the family of Count Erdödi de Vörösvari. The
devastation of the land by the Turks led to the land becoming a pradium.
1552 Conquest of the Temeschburg
fortress by the Turks.
1562 King Ferdinand and the Turkish
ruler, Suliman, made peace. The area was given back and forth, was uninhabited, and was
later mentioned (in1761) on a German orthographical map in Vienna as ’Bogarosch’.
1716 On October 13th, 1716, the
Temesvar fortress was won back from the Turks. A reign of terror came to an end. On November
1st General Count Florimund Mercy became the first Governor of Temesch.
1717 General Mercy receives
permission to populate the Banat.
1723 The Mercy map includes the
name ’Bogaros’ instead of today’s ’Bogarosch’.
1761 The estate of Bogaros is
marked as ’unpopulated’ on the official map.
1769 In the Spring of 1769 the
founding of Bogarosch begins by settling families from the empire through Josef Neumann.
1774 Founding of the parish. Church
registers are kept from October onwards. On November 1st, building of the church begins at
the expense of Queen Maria Theresia.
1786 The village gets its first
notary, Michael Krizsancis.
1794 The first year of famine. The
harvest failed as a result of heat and drought.
1804 We cannot establish how many
immigrants came to Bogarosch, as they came and went. However, 1,600 people were counted in
the first census in 1804.
1816 A long, bitterly cold winter.
The crops grew, but before they were harvested a flood came from the north (Warjasch) and
drowned the fields. The whole cereal crop was destroyed.
1823 The community bought house
number 103 at a cost of 3,080 Gulden, to use as its village hall later.
1830 During January 12th / 13th, so
much snow fell that traffic to the neighbouring villages came to a complete standstill.
1831 On September 4th Bogarosch was
struck by the first cholera epidemic.
1836 On September 17th the number
of Jews living in the whole country was counted. There were 17 in Bogarosch. On July 23rd a
new epidemic of cholera broke out. 107 out of the 700 sick died.
1848 On August 14ththe Urbarium was
dissolved and the farmers became free men. In October, 34 men from Bogarosch and 10 from
Uihei were conscripted into the Hungarian army.
1849 On August 13th the Hungarian
fight for freedom ended.
1850 Introduction of land taxes
throughout Hungary for the farming landowners. They no longer had to pay a levy to their
1852 On January 24th the land tax
register for Bogarosch was completed, wherein allfield owners were registered.
1853 On May 29th the foundation
stone for the schoolhouse, which still stands today, was laid at the crossing of the
Hauptgasse (Main Street) and Schulgasse (SchoolStreet).
1855 The Land Register is
introduced by order of Austria. Nothing like this had been available prior to 1848.
1859 On September 30th the
construction of the cross-shaped extension to the church began.
1863 Heavy drought; the harvest was
destroyed. The great famine moved the authorities to open a soup kitchen.
1869 One hundred years after the
colonisation of Bogarosch, the village had 2,760inhabitants of which 2,714 were Roman
Catholic,33 Greek-Oriental and 11 Jewish.The Post Office was opened.
1870 The first school library was
equipped with 135 books.
1876 The village hall, still
standing in 1935, was built in 1876 at a cost of 8,981 Gulden.
1878 The village gets its first
resident doctor, Nikolaus Dvontsch.
1880 The tower clock was purchased
for 1,210 Gulden from the Mannheim factory.
1890 The great wave of emigration
to America began. It grew from year to year and by1935 around 700 Bogaroschers had
emigrated. The number of inhabitants was now 3,300 amongst 332 houses.
1894 The first apothecary was set
up. The owner was Ludwig Bodway.
1896 The Kindergarten was opened.
1898 The community decided to dig
three artesian wells. Work was begun in 1899. Itwas futile. Instead, three deep wells were
bored and the fourth was added in 1929.
1904 The telephone exchange was set
1905 Founding of the Trade and
Business Association with 29 members. The society had 93 members in 1935.
1910 2,651 inhabitants were counted
in the census. Bogarosch celebrates the completion of the railway station and the opening of
the track between Hatzfeld and Lovrin on October 17th. There are six trains a day. The
telegraph station is built in May 1910.
1914 Beginning of World War I. Out
of 543 mobilised conscripts, 84 fell in battle or went missing.
1916 At the end of November the
bells were taken from the church tower and usedfor the war effort.
1918 Bogarosch was occupied by the
Serbs. Annexed to Romania.
1919 On February 19th a census was
ordered. The result: 2,373 Germans, 32 Romanians, 26 Hungarians, 1 Serb. In August the Banat
fell to Romania.
1923 Agrarian reform.
1924 August 14th, the day on which
the war memorial in Bogarosch was unveiled.
1927 On January 1st all schools
and kindergartens became State run.
1928 On November 8th the church
parish was founded. On December 19th the new Bauernheim was inaugurated on the plot of house
1930 2,358 inhabitants of which
2,182 are German, 39 Slovak, 27 Romanian, 20 Hungarian, 3 Serb and 87 are gypsies (total
1,129 men and 1,229 women).
1935 On December 31st teacher Josef
Hubert finishes the chronicle of our village of Bogarosch.
1939 Beginning of the Second World
War. 44 men joined the German army, 12 joined the Romanian army. Four civilians were killed.
1945 In January over 327 women and
men were deported to labour camps in Russia, where 50 died whilst there. March 6th agrarian
reform during which most German farmers were dispossessed.
1948 School reform.
1951 Beginning of collectivization
of the agricultural economy which ended up with all farmers joining by 1958.
1965 The start of the evacuation of
the Banat Germans which also became noticeable in Bogarosch. The great flood of Banat
Germans emigrating to Germany and other parts of the world had begun and there was no
1989 Around 1,392 Germans now
living in Bogarosch and a total of 1,422 of other nationalities. Total: 2,814 people.
1991 The last Germans leave
Bogarosch. There are now only about ten German people left in Bogarosch.