Kanjia is located on the right bank of the river Tisa, near the Serbian-Hungarian border. The Municipality includes the town of Kanjia and 12 villages:
Kanjia (Serbian: Kanjia; Hungarian: Kanizsa, Magyarkanizsa)
Adorjan (Hungarian: Adorján)
Doline (Hungarian: Völgyes)
Horgo (Hungarian: Horgos)
Male Pijace (Hungarian: Kispiac)
Mali Pesak (Hungarian: Kishomok)
Martono (Hungarian: Martonos)
Novo Selo (Hungarian: Újfalu)
Orom (Hungarian: Orom)
Totovo Selo (Hungarian: Tóthfalu)
Trenjevac (Hungarian: Oromhegyes)
Zimonić (Hungarian: Ilonafalu)
Senta is located on the bank of the Tisa river in the Vojvodina province, Serbia. Although geographically it is located in Bačka. The Municipality includes the town of Senta and 4 villages:
Senta (German: Tschenta, Zenta; Hungarian: Zenta; Serbian: Senta; Romanian: Zenta)
Gornji Breg (Felsőhegy)
Ada is situated near the river Tisa in Vojvodina province. Although the town is geographically located in Bačka. The Municipality includes the town of Ada, the nearby town of Mol (Hungarian: Mohol) and 3 villages:
Ada (German: ; Serbian: Ада, Ada, Hungarian: Ada)
Čoka includes the town of Čoka and 7 villages:
Čoka (German: ; Serbian: Čoka, Hungarian: Csóka)
Padej (Hungarian: Padé)
Jazovo (Hungarian: Hódegyháza)
Banatski Monotor (Hungarian: Kanizsamonostor)
Vrbica (Hungarian: Egyházaskér)
Crna Bara (Hungarian: Feketetó)
Sanad (Hungarian: Szanád)
Ostojićevo (Hungarian: Tiszaszentmiklós)
Novi Kneevac Municipality
Novi Kneevac Municipality includes the town of Novi Kneevac, which is on the Tisa River, and 8 villages:
Novi Kneevac (Hungarian: Törökkanizsa)
Majdan (Hungarian: Magyarmajdány)
Rabe (Hungarian: Rábé)
Banatsko Aranđelovo (Hungarian: Oroszlámos)
Siget (Hungarian: Sziget)
Filić (Hungarian: Firigyháza)
Srpski Krstur (Hungarian: Ókeresztúr)
Đala (Hungarian: Gyála)
Podlokanj (Hungarian: Podolkány)
The modern city was founded in 18th century. From 1774 to 1874 Kikinda was the seat of the so-called District of Velika Kikinda, the autonomous administrative unit of Austria-Hungary. In 1893 Kikinda was granted the status of a town. The territory of Vojvodina became part of the Kingdom of Serbia in 1918. Kikinda used to be a very strong economic and industrial centre of Serbia and Yugoslavia up until the 1990s. Currently, the industry of Kikinda is in the middle of the transitional economic process.
In 1996, the well preserved archeological remnants of a half a million-year-old mammoth were excavated on the outer edge of the town area. The mammoth called "Kika" has become one of the symbols of the town. Today it is exhibited in the National Museum of Kikinda. Other attractions of the city are the Suvača - a unique horse-powered dry mill, the annual Pumpkin days and the International Symposium of Sculpture "Terra".
In Serbian, the city is known as Kikinda (Кикинда), in Hungarian as Nagykikinda, in German as Gross Kikinda or Großkikinda, in Latin as Magna Kikinda, in Romanian as Chichinda Mare, in Slovak as Kikinda, in Rusyn as Кикинда, and in Croatian as Kikinda. Until 1947 it was known in Serbian as Velika Kikinda (Велика Кикинда).
The municipality of
Kikinda comprises the city of Kikinda, nine villages and two hamlets.
The nine villages are:
Sajan (German: Wilhelmfeld)
Note: for municipalities with Hungarian ethnic majority, the names are also given in Hungarian.
An interesting fact is that the first three municipalities enlisted (Kanjia, Senta and Ada) are geographically, in fact, in the Bačka region since the natural border between Banat and Bačka is the river Tisa.